What About Meat?
There are a lot of nutrients found in organic, lean red meat that are beneficial in losing weight, fighting depression and strengthening of the immune system.
● Supplies Protein: The protein you get from red meat contains all the amino acids necessary to build muscle and repair tissue. Protein has also been linked to weight loss, since it satisfies hunger and keeps you satisfied for hours following your meal.
● High Levels of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA): CLA is a fat naturally present in grass fed animals. CLA content is 300% - 400% higher in grass fed animals than in grain fed animals. Ongoing research studies suggest a link between CLA and losing body fat and gaining lean muscle. These benefits have been noted though only after eating grass fed beef and not by taking supplements.
● According to an Australian study, women consuming less than the recommended amount of red meat were twice as likely to have a diagnosed depressive or anxiety disorder as those consuming more than the recommended amount. Eating very high amounts of red meat was also associated with increased rates of depression. The researchers suggest a moderate amount of lean red meat-about three to four 6-8 ounce servings per week-may actually be important for mental health.
● Meat from grass-fed animals has two to four times more omega-3 fatty acids than meat from grain- fed animals. People with a diet rich in omega-3s are less likely to suffer from depression, schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder (hyperactivity), or Alzheimer's disease.
● Natural Beta Carotene - The Beta Carotene in this type of beef aids the body in Vitamin A production and protecting immune system responses.
There are valuable nutrients found in red meat that are difficult to find in other foods to the same level found in red meat.
● Iron: Lean red meat supplies a good amount of iron, depending on the cut of the meat, and contains a form of iron more easily absorbed than the iron in plant-based foods.
● Zinc: Zinc is an essential mineral that is an imperative part of many physiological functions, including structure in certain proteins and enzymes, and regulation of gene expression.
● B Vitamins: Lean red meat contains B-12 for a healthy nervous system and B-6 for a strong immune system. Red meat also contains niacin, another B vitamin that aids in digestion, as well as riboflavin for healthy skin and eyes.